Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Source 3 The Visual History Archive

I found the Visual History Archive very informative. When I first logged on I was having a little difficulty learning how to properly navigate through the different search engines, but after about 20 minutes or so I got the hang of it. Once I figured the website out I began to look at the category with the stories of people who had witnessed eugenics first hand. Their stories were shocking and painful to listen to, but I was not able to find any witness accounts about whether or not any people with mental or physical disabilities were rescued. I was a little disappointed because I have had the question about if any effort was made to save people with disabilities, ever since I began studying the Holocaust.

Although I was not able to find too much information about the first subject I researched, I was able to find many stories about the Romas that survived. I focused on the story of Julia Lentini. Julia Lentini was 14 when she arrived at Aushwitz with her family (her parents and her 7 siblings). Her family had traveled around Germany and met many people that they had befriended, but they were primarily living biedenkopf; until one day the Nazis and the mayor arrived at their door step, told them to pack a few bags and that their "family tree" was being investigated. Julia and her family were able to stay in the same are of the camp. Unfortunately, her mother died after 3 months, followed by her father, then her sister. Despite heartbreaking loss, Julia Lentini survived and went on to have a family of her own.

Julia's story was very enlightening for me because I had never really heard a story like hers before. Even though I had only watched about an hour and a half of the video I could see that she was a strong woman. I hope to learn more about her and others like her soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment